Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Great Touts of China

We met the Great Touts (GT) while trying to get to the Great Wall Of China. And we call them great not really because of their hardsell tactics but because of their ruthlessness.

So apparently there’s this cheap public bus that goes directly to the Great Wall but the bus-stand’s empty when we arrived. Only one GT was hovering around so we asked him about the bus. GT1 said the bus isn’t coming anytime soon but he knows people who can arrange for minivan or taxi transport to the Great Wall. 1. Sounds like a familiar tout-story. 2. He’s not wearing a uniform 3. He keeps eyeing us from a distant when we walked away. OK 3 strikes down, sounds like a tout.

While we avoided him, GT1 chatted up another couple waiting for the same bus. We walked to a little office nearby and got successfully directed to the correct bus parked a short distance away. Then before we boarded, I (Willy) started walking over to inform the other couple of this bus. I was however physically restrained by another GT. This GT2 said his “ GT1 colleague’ is busy at work and I should not walk over. Shaz yelled at the couple to come over. GT2 then warned me that another colleague will hit me if I intervene. He indicated to another GT3 a short distance away who glared at me.

Instincts kicked in. I frowned and walked back to the bus. I felt both relieved yet defeated. Should I had stood up to this vicious cycle and would it be worth the effort? Would I actually be affecting the livelihood of these GTs that are keeping them financially afloat?

What ensued caused my stomach to groan. From our bus where we sat, we saw GT2 physically blocking and harassing another female passenger from boarding another bus. He literally pulled at her handbag and she looked visibly upset. It was a devil to watch. Yet nobody around batted an eyelid and some people were even laughing/joking about it. Given the GTs’ previous threats, we struggled with our inaction and the public climate of apathy. This marred our mood partly for the day but generated much introspection and discussion.

That said, we have also met friendly people in China, even including some of the hardsell vendors. But as the recent melamine incident had indicated, personal gain sometimes does cause individuals to cross lines. Sometimes, fatally.

No comments:

Post a Comment